Business and Management skills and careers
Skills you can develop
As well as the specific subject knowledge gained from studying for an OU degree, you'll develop many transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers and which will increase your employability.
For Business and Management graduates the employability skills you will develop include the ability to:
- understand key business functions such as marketing, human resources, information management, accounting and finance and operations in their wider organisational and social context
- put together reasoned arguments and question assumptions
- draw together, analyse and critically evaluate information
- understand the nature of leadership skills and behaviours within organisations
- communicate effectively, clearly and accurately with others
- use ICT to research, identify and present information
- manage time and take on responsibility for your own development.
To see specific learning outcomes that relate to degrees in this area have a look at the OU Business and Management courses.
To check which skills valued by employers can be developed from studying a particular subject, look at the Student Employability Profiles on the Higher Education Academy website.
The OU Careers and Employability Services define student employability as: 'A set of capabilities and achievements that support students in developing their careers, raising their aspirations and enhancing their contribution to society.'
Whatever your motivations for study, your goals and career aspirations, you are entitled to supported personal development planning either as an intrinsic part of your programme of study or through signposted optional activities. You can view the full Student Employability Policy Statement on our website.
You will also find information about employability skills developed through study of specific degree subjects on the What can I do with my degree? pages on Prospects website.
I’ve really enjoyed the OU experience – and hope to soon repeat it.
My employers have been wonderfully supportive.
To see the experiences of other OU students visit 'What do OU students do'.
If you’re a registered OU student, you can find further careers information tailored to your qualification at your Study Home site, under the Succeed tab.
Find out about all undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications at OU Courses.
You can also find more information on the OU Business School website.