Skip to content

Toggle service links

International students - disability support

This information is for students who live outside of the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland. It also applies to UK students who may be outside of their country for some period of time and may need assistance with special arrangements such as exams.

It’s important to understand how the OU defines the term ‘disabled’, as although you may not consider yourself disabled there may be support available to help your specific needs. You'll need to provide supporting evidence to access specialist support. For further information, see:


You may apply for any of the loan schemes we have available, however each application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to assess exactly what can be provided for you. See Specialist technology and personal support for further details.

Exam arrangements

If you have an additional requirement based on disability or illness, you may be able to receive extra time or rest breaks to complete your remote exam as a reasonable adjustment. For more information see Exam arrangements for disabled students.

Residential school

At residential schools we provide additional support and guidance through a team of specialist staff. See Disability support at residential school for more information.

Specific learning difficulties, assessment and support

If you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, we’ll do our best to offer the flexibility and services you need to study effectively. If you've got a diagnostic assessment report confirming your specific learning difficulty contact your student support team to check if it can be used as part of your request for additional exam arrangements.

Finding out about specific learning differences

You may find the following a useful source of further information.

  • European Dyslexia Association

    European umbrella organisation for national and regional associations of people with dyslexia and other DYS-differences.

The following checklists can help you to think about your potential needs.

Funding for support and diagnostic assessment

You may have to pay for any additional support you require, outside that which the OU can offer, as we do not have funding to help you with this.

You’re advised to contact your home government for information of any funding that may be available, in the first instance.

Contact us about your situation

Contact your student support team if you have any additional requirements as a result of a disability, health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.

Alternatively, you can request additional requirements online, for more information see Timescale for getting disability support.

Last updated 1 month ago