Skip to content

Toggle service links

Developing academic English: Where to go for support

Page 11 of 11

Your tutor

Your tutor will mark and give you feedback on your assignments, and is the first person to approach if you have any questions about your course or assignments. Tutors understand that someone whose first language is not English may need extra guidance, for example in finding ways to express new ideas.

If your tutor feels you could benefit from extra language support they may refer you to an adviser from your Student Support Team.


Most OU tutorials take place online or by phone. However, there are also some face-to-face sessions, for instance at day school or residential school. Wherever possible, make use of the opportunity to practise your communication skills and get to know your tutor and other students.

Other students

Studying at the OU doesn't mean studying alone. You can contact other students through online forums for your course, or through forums supplied by OU Students Association.

Page 11 of 11