Job references: what you need to know
Employers usually request contact details for two or three referees who can give independent verification of your experience, skills and qualities.
Choosing a referee
Consider people who can comment most effectively on your ability to perform successfully in the role. They can be previous employers from your paid or unpaid work or academic contacts from university study who can give an insight into your commitment and achievements.
Getting references from the OU
We can provide you with a reference for the following purposes:
- UCAS application
- a job application
- an application for further study
- membership of a graduate body.
Use the request a reference tool which you'll find in References from the OU
You'll also find the following documents under your Study Record under your Profile.
- Student Academic Summary - a summary of all the modules and qualifications that you've completed and/or are currently studying towards.
- Statement of Academic Record is available if you haven't yet completed a qualification. It provides details of the qualification you are studying towards, the relevant modules and any credit transfer you are entitled to.
- Diploma Supplement provides details of the qualification you've obtained, the modules completed, and the requirements of the programme.