Nearly all students get behind at some point - it's quite normal, so don't panic. Your tutor and staff at your Student Support Team are there to support you and give advice.
- Ask for advice as soon as you realise there's a problem.
- If a particular aspect of the study is slowing you down, speak to your tutor who may be able to clarify things for you, or start a discussion on the online forum.
- If you can't make it to tutorials, ask your tutor to suggest ways of staying connected with how everyone else is progressing. If you don't attend, you might lose touch with how other students are getting on with their studies (tutorials are helpful for comparing your own study progress with that of other students).
- Check what material is the focus of the next assignment - maybe you can concentrate on that and give less time to the rest of the section.
- Ask your tutor for permission to submit an assignment late if necessary.
- Study smart - check the rules on substitution and on which assignments are compulsory.
- If you have difficulties or are ill around the time of the final exam, your tutor or staff at your Student Support Team may be able to help.
- If circumstances are such that you are considering giving up, please talk to your tutor or Student Support Team first. One possible solution could be to defer study until a later date, but this could affect your future plans and financial commitment to the module.
Sign in to see the video content available to OU students.
"I was really falling behind and posted a message on the forum "Anyone got any tips? I'm losing the plot" and I got loads of support! I got ideas on where to focus particularly (and what to skip over), was also nagged into joining students at a local pub to brainstorm. It really helped me get back on track."