Why further study?
Why undertake further study
Towards the end of your degree programme, you may wish to explore options for study at postgraduate level. Here are some of the reasons that motivated previous OU students:
- I really love my subject and want to study it in more depth.
- Having returned to study as a mature student I have found huge personal satisfaction from this and want to continue!
- It’s necessary to gain a professional qualification to make a career change.
- I want to develop my skills further.
- I am keen to embark on an academic career and know that this will require a PhD.
- An additional qualification will enhance my employment prospects.
How employers view further study
Many students assume that the more highly qualified they are, the more attractive they are to an employer. This depends, however, on how relevant your qualifications are to the post you are applying for. The Prospects website has some further discussion of the pros and cons of Masters study, and how it may be viewed by employers.
Find out more
To find about vocational qualifications in the UK linked to your area of work try