Fee Rules (Postgraduate Study) 2019/20
Warning: the content within this page reflects the information available to students in the 2019/20 academic year. As such, this information may no longer be factually accurate.
In November 2019, The Open University made a minor amendment to the Fee Rules (Postgraduate Study) 2019/20
The changes made
- Update to the Scope section to clarify that Microcredential students are not in scope.
In March 2019, The Open University published the new Policy – Fee Rules (Postgraduate) 2019/20. This supersedes the previous document - Fee Rules (Postgraduate) 2018/19. The policy has had some significant policy changes.
This document sets out the rules that affect the fees, fee liabilities, fee refunds and fee credits for students studying postgraduate modules or qualifications. They explain the circumstances in which you may receive fee refunds or fee credits, The Open University’s discretionary fee refunds and credits policy, when you may become liable to pay fees, as well as what The Open University might do if you do not pay your fees.
This document applies to undergraduate and postgraduate students on taught courses, registered or enrolled for modules from 1 August 2019 onwards.
The changes made
- Removal of Section C “Your fee liability when studying under a partnership agreement with another provider”, as Scope section clarifies that these students are not covered by this policy.
- Addition of paragraphs C6, C7 and D4 (previously D6, D7 and E4) to explain how we will monitor engagement in study and why.
- Addition of reference to Student Protection Plan and Refund and Compensation Policy to paragraph D11.
- Removal of paragraph D9 (previously E9) as it repeats the content of paragraph D1 (previously E1).
- Removal of reference to the day a module begins in paragraph F2 as it is not relevant.
- Combined paragraphs G2 and G3 to make section easier to read.
- Removed paragraph G12 (as numbered in previous version), regarding transfer of study from MBA stage 1: management: perspectives and practice (fast-track) (BXFT716) to MBA stage 1: management: perspectives and practice (B716), as modules are no longer being presented.
- Moved content in section H, specifically section H7 (previously section I), so that the section was easier to understand.
- Addition of caring responsibilities as Discretionary Fee Credit and Refunds criteria in Appendix 2.
- Removal of Appendix 3 paragraph 3.2 and amendment to paragraph 3.3 to reflect current rules.
Please talk to your Student Support Team if you need any further information. You can find out how to contact them on Contact the OU.