Fitness to Study Policy (October 2019 update)
Warning: the content within this page reflects the information available to students in the 2019/20 academic year. As such, this information may no longer be factually accurate.
In October 2019 a number of changes were implemented to the Fitness to Study Policy. These changes potentially affect all students.
The changes made
- Addition of links to further information in the ‘Summary of Policy’ and ‘What this document does not cover’ sections for Apprenticeship, PGCE (Wales) and VQ learners and Microcredential students.
- Amendments to the links to support and resources in the ‘Summary of Policy’ section including updated HelpCentre resources and Togetherall (formally Big White Wall).
- Addition to ‘Scope’ section to include those studying towards a PGCE in Wales and Vocational Qualifications learners.
- Addition to the ‘What this document does not cover’ section to include Open Learn learners and students studying a Microcredential where the course content is not provided by The Open University, and to include teaching as one of the examples where students studying certain disciplines may be subject to separate and over-riding obligations to declare significant health issues.
- Addition of Student Charter Values to Related Documentation section.
- Addition to clause 2.10 that we may have a statutory obligation to inform internal departments such as the Safeguarding Referrals Team or the Prevent Coordinator, and share relevant information with external parties (for example Child and Adult Protection Services or Channel).
- Addition to section 3.1 of contact points for Apprenticeship, PGCE (Wales) and VQ learners and Microcredential students, and that Apprentice Employer and PCGE (Wales) Employer School may be advised.
- Addition to section 3.2 of contact points for Apprenticeship, PGCE (Wales) and VQ learners and Microcredential students, and that Apprentice Employer and PCGE (Wales) Employer School will be advised and involved in supporting learner through Stage 2.
- Addition to 3.2.7 that if a student or learner does not provide the University with medical or other evidence from a suitably qualified professional, which gives a qualified opinion on your fitness to study, the University may request that you do so.
- Addition to 3.3.1 that a student or learner will be asked to provide medical or other evidence from a suitably qualified professional in advance of the meeting, and that if you do not agree to provide this evidence or consent to the University procuring such evidence, the Panel may proceed to consider your case on the basis of the existing evidence available to it.
- Addition to 3.3.1 ii) to state that study breaks are not available to Microcredential students or PGCE (Wales) students enrolled on the Salaried pathway, and are not normally available to learners studying a Vocational Qualification.
- Addition to section 3.5 of clarity on study breaks for Apprentices, PGCE (Wales), Short Course and Microcredential students, and learners studying a Vocational Qualification.
- Addition of Appendix A for Apprentices: Appendix B for students studying an OU Microcredential on FutureLearn; Appendix C for students studying a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Wales and Appendix D for Vocational Qualification (VQ) learners.
- Addition to Standard Action Plan Template of box to record student’s explanation for their behaviour (Appendix E).
- Addition of new Action Plan Template for Apprentices, VQ learners and PGCE (Wales) students.
- Addition of section 7. Welsh Language Standards.
Please talk to your Student Support Team if you need any further information. You can find out how to contact them on Contact the OU.